Sunday, May 6, 2007

One down one to go!

When we built our house Brian wanted a small pond in the front yard. It was perfect easy to take care of, low maintaince and looks nice as you walk to our front door. Then after my dog died, we looked at where her pen was and wanted to do something nice. So, what did he want to do build another pond, but this one when he first layed it out was the size of a built in pool. After making is a bit smaller we started this pond. We did it all ourselves, the only thing we did was have someone dig the hole. The funny thing is we were out there with shovels thinking we could do it. That was about 4 years ago. So now it is just the upkeep we have to worry about and the blue heron coming and eating our fish.

Every year at this time we have to drain it and clean it so it looks nice for the summer. It is the worse job in the entire world. It took us all day, drain it, catch the fish, clean the muck and restart the filters and fill it back up. But of course our filter was shot, so off to our favorite store this time of year and shell out 400 bucks for a new filter, good thing the pump was working. I weeded all around it, and dug out a few bushes. Today I want to go by lilac bushes and plant them around it, I want to edge the front of it and mulch. Hopefully I will have the energy to do that considering I feel like I have been hit by a truck from what we did yesterday. We also have to clean and start up the little one in the front, but that one is easy.

I said to Brian last night when we crashed, what are we going to do when we get old. There is no way we can do what we did today. He said fill it in, my suggestion- that is why we have kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty. I wanna see pics! Im such a city girl, I wouldn't have the slightest clue on ponds!!!

Anonymous said...

Oooohhh... I want a pond so bad! I can't believe you have two! Sounds so pretty. I'm with Dena, I want to see pics too!! :)

Lauren said...

Mental note: Do not build a pond in our backyard.

Sounds gorgeous, but I am sooo not a fish person.